That’s right! You better make your way down to the Market, and quickly… fall is approaching and CFM only has FOUR market days left. Thinking of fall, here’s a recipe for roasted root vegetables. How many of these ingredients you can find at the Market this weekend? MEANWHILE, preview our weekly newsletter and vendor lineup HERE!
Market Fresh Roasted Root Veggies: This is a robust, flavorful one-skillet recipe sure to please! Serve as a side dish with roasted chicken, grilled steak or fresh fish! Use any leftovers in a breakfast hash with eggs, cheese & sausage! The best part about this recipe? You can customize it based on your taste preferences and use produce that is fresh, local and in season!
- 6 cups root vegetables, cut into ½” cubes, such as parsnips, red or white potatoes, turnips, rutabagas, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery root, and red or golden beets. Scrub veggies well, and peeled if desired.
- 1 onion (sweet, red or white), chopped
- 2 or more garlic cloves, minced
- 1 or more TBSP chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme or parsley
- 2 TBSP oil, lard or butter
- Splash of broth or white wine
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese, optional
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and all vegetables except fresh herbs; sauté until vegetables begin to soften, 6 – 7 minutes. Add herbs and a splash of broth or wine. Reduce heat to medium and cover skillet. Cook until vegetables are tender and liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 9 minutes more.
Remove lid, return heat to medium-high, and cook until vegetables brown, just a few minutes more. Generously season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese, if desired. Also, try adding bacon or sliced kielbasa to this dish!